Peerkanghai/Ridge gourd stir fry: Ridge gourd known for dietary fibre and low calorie content, makes you feel light when included in the meal. The skin of ridge gourd also carries loads of goodness that in South India, we make peerkanghai chutney with it.
With very few ingredients and less time, ridge gourd stir fry can be prepared easily. It can be eaten along with steamed rice and any curry. In my home, when my mom makes this recipe, I mix it with steaming hot white rice and then add ghee on top of it- It tastes light, simple and delicious.
This recipe is sitting for a while as a draft and today the right time has come for me post. Hope this recipe comes handy for the viewers.
1 cup Ridge gourd(Peel the skin and chop the ridge gourd into small pieces)
1/2 medium sized onion(finely cut)
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn urad dal
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
1 red chilly
2 green chilly
2-3 garlic pods
pinch of hing
pinch of turmeric powder
a sprig of curry leaves
few coriander leaves
salt to taste
1. Heat 2-3 tblspn oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to splutter. Then add the urad dal and saute until golden brown. Then add the cummin seeds, red chilly, curry leaves, green chilly, garlic pods, hing and the finely chopped onions. Saute for minute.
3. Now add the ridge gourd, turmeric powder, salt and saute for a minute. Cook with closed lid for 6-7 minutes in medium to low flame.
4. Once the vegetable is completely cooked, sprinkle some coriander leaves and switch off the stove.
5. Serve hot with steamed rice and curry.
1. while cooking with closed lid, the vegetable will automatically become moist as it releases water.
2. As a variant, you could add grated coconut and chilli powder.