Mushroom Pepper Fry – Kalan Milagu Varuval: Mushroom has always been my favourite for its earthy taste and the vast nutritional benefits that it carries. It’s one of the superfood that has a high amount of antioxidant and is a good source of vitamin D.
Given these facts, I try to include mushroom atleast twice a week in my regular preparation – It could be mushroom soya chunks briyani/mushroom spinach stir fry/ mushroom paneer stir fry. Of all the combinations, mushroom pepper fry has always been the best, for its simple preparation.
With few ingredients, this dish is a great accompaniment for chappati, sambar, rasam and curd rice.
8-10 large button mushroom(cut into small pieces)
1 tspn crushed ginger garlic
1/4 coriander powder
1/4 tspn cummin powder
1/2 tspn pepper powder
Pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 tspn fennel seeds
1 red chilly
Salt to taste
1. Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan, add fennel seeds and red chilly in quick succession.
3. Add the crushed ginger garlic and sauté for few seconds.
4. Now add the mushroom, turmeric powder, coriander power and salt. Sprinkle some water and cook with closed lid for 3-4 minutes until the mushroom reduces in size.
5. Open the lid and sauté until all the moist in observed. Now add the pepper powder, cumin powder and fresh curry leaves. Saute for a minute in high flame.
7. Serve hot with steamed rice and sambar/curd/rasam. It tastes good with roti as well.
Cleaning is lot easy if the mushrooms are fresh otherwise it might require some patience to take of any bruises or blackish gills under the mushroom cap.