White Pumpkin(vellai poosanikai) Butermilk Curry: After three months of raining, now Sun is back to its form. I’m trying to keep my dishes as simple and refreshing as it could be to beat the heat. Mor kuzhambhu/buttermilk curry is one such category and adds that feels so good factor.
In my earlier post on ladies finger buttermilk curry, I’ve sauted the ladies finger separately to avoid the stickiness. For white pumpkin, I’ve cooked them similar to stir fry method with some spices and finally add the grounded ingredients & the buttermilk.
3/4 cup curd + 1/2 cup water
1 cup white pumpkin(cut into medium size pieces)
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn coriander powder
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn urad dal
1/2 tspn fenugreek seeds
1 tspn cummin seeds
2 red chillies
1 sprig of curry leaves
Few coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Pinch of hing
Salt to taste
1 tblspn raw rice(soaked for 20-30 minutes)
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
2-3 green chillies
3 tblspn grated coconut
1. Blend the curd in a mixer to a creamy texture. Mix with 1/2 cup water and blend again. Buttermilk is ready now. Keep aside.
2. Dry Saute the cummin seeds for a couple of minutes until the nice aroma comes. Keep aside.
3. Now add the cumin seeds, raw rice, green chillies, grated coconut in a mixer and grind to a fine paste by adding lil water. Keep the paste aside.
4. Heat 2-3 tblspn oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds to splutter. Now add the urad dal and saute until it turns light brown, then add the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies, curry leaves, hing in quick succession.
5. Now add the white pumpkin, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and saute for a minute. Add lil water and cook with closed in medium flame until the pumpkin is fully cooked.
6. To the cooked pumpkin, add the ground paste and saute for a couple of minutes. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Keep in medium flame. Now add the butter milk, stir well and then switch off the stove.
7. Now your buttermilk curry is ready. Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice and veg/non-veg side.