Purple Cabbage Kootu: First time when I prepared this vegetable, my kid was really awestruck by its colour. Right from cutting & cleaning to the cooking stage, she was very inquisitive about its colour change. I remember her asking”Why do we get a blue water when we wash this purple vegetable?”…Im still looking for the right answer..
Generally all colour vegetables carry loads of nutrients and vitamins within them. Its good to include such vegetables in our regular menu. Purple cabbage kootu is an easy to make and wonderful dish that can be served as a side dish for any curry and steamed rice combo.
1 cup purple cabbage(finely shredded)
1/2 medium sized onion(finely cut)
1/2 medium sized tomato(finely cut)
2-3 tblspn channa dal
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn urad dal
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
1 red chilly
1/2 green chilly
2-3 garlic pods
pinch of hing
a sprig of curry leaves
salt to taste
1. Pressure cook the channa dal for 4-5 whistles until its soft(without losing shape). Keep aside.
2. Heat 2-3 tblspn oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to splutter. Then add the urad dal and saute until golden brown. Then add the cummin seeds, red chilly, curry leaves, green chilly, garlic pods, hing and the finely chopped onions. Saute for minute.
3. Now add the finely chopped tomato and saute for a minute.
4. Now add the cabbage. Add lil water and saute for a minute. Cook with closed lid for 6-7 minutes in medium to low flame.
5. Once the vegetable is completely cooked and moisture is absored, add the cooked channa dal. Give it a stir for a minute or so. Switch off the stove.
6. Serve hot with steamed rice and curry.