Masala vadai/Paruppu vadai – Not waiting for special occasions, my mom makes this popular South Indian snack very often. We also call it as kadalai vadai and sometimes she make it along with medhu vadai. This easy to make yummy snack doesn’t take much of the preparation time – Its crispy outside and soft inside. I’ve always felt that my evening is made when I get to snack paruppu vadai with a sip of coffee. Its a must try snack!
1 cup channa dhal(kadalai paruppu)
1 big onion(finely chopped)
1-2 green chillies(finely chopped)
1 tspn fennel seeds
few coriander leaves(finely chopped)
few curry leaves(finely chopped)
pinch of hing(asafoetida)
salt to taste
1. Soak channa dhal in water for 1 hr. Strain the water completely and coarsely grind the channa dhal in a mixer(don’t add water while grinding). Transfer the ground channa dhal to a bowl.
2. To this add the finely chopped onions, green chillies, coriander leaves, curry leaves, hing, fennel seeds and salt. Mix well using hand.
3. Now take small portions of the ground dhal, make it into small lemon sized balls and press between the palms to make round patties/vadas.
4. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the vadas in medium flame. Flip sides until you get golden brown on both the sides.
5. Serve hot with a cup of coffee or tea.