Poori kizhanghu/ Poori masala: Though I make this dish very often, I didn’t get the opportunity to take the pic and do a posting on it. Today I did it!
Poori masala is an easy to make dish and it’s an excellent side for poori. It also goes well with chappati and dosa.
I make couple of other versions too – with mustard, urad dhal and besan powder. Today’s recipe is one of the very first recipes that I’ve learnt from my mom. Each version is unique and they taste different.
2 large potatoes(boiled and mashed)
1 medium sized onion(cut lengthwise)
1 medium sized tomato(cut lengthwise)
2-3 green chillies (slit it lengthwise)
1/2 inch ginger (crushed)
Pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 tspn fennel seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves
Few coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
2. Now add the onions and saute for a minute or so. Before the onions become translucent, add the tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Sauté them and cook in low flame with closed lid for a minute or two.
3. When the tomatoes become slightly mushy, add very little water and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Now add the mashed potatoes and mix everything together. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and switch off stove.
5. Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve hot with poori, chappati and dosa.
1. This recipe taste best in thick consistency. So add only little water.
2. The crunchiness of the onion makes the dish more delicious – avoid sauting too much.