Gala Gala Recipe: While nothing beats baking a cake at Christmas, there are dishes that are unique to places and are traditionally made.In most South Indian families, Briyani is a must on Christmas day. And, each family have their own list of sweets and savouries to make.
My mom always made Gala Gala and its one of my favourite right from childhood. Gala gala is made in the form of seashell using comb. My mom buys a new comb the day before she makes it and chooses to keep the comb in a secret place, so that we don’t mess up with it.
However, you could choose to make any shape of your interest. There are a lot of tools available in the market to make shapes of your own choice.
Though it’s easy to make, it requires real patience to complete the entire batch of dough. I have used 250 grams of maida for this recipe and it has taken me over 1 & 1/2 hrs to complete. However, for its taste, it’s worth the efforts. Kids would definitely love it. Here’s the recipe….
2 cup maida
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar(powdered)
1/4 tspn salt
Pinch of baking soda
- Mix all ingredients(maida, egg, butter, sugar, salt, baking soda) in a bowl. Mix with hands to get crumpy texture.
- Add very little water and knead it into a soft and non sticky dough.
- Make small balls from the dough. Take a ball, keep it on the comb , press it and pull it from top using the thumb – so it forms into shape like that of seashell. See pic below for reference.
- Repeat step 3 for the entire dough.
- Heat oil in a deep kadai. When the oil is hot enough, deep fry the seashell shapes in low flame in batches.
- Now your Gala Gala is ready to be served and shared.