Unni appam/Unniyappam: Unni Appam is a traditional Kerala snack prepared mainly from rice flour. Different variations do exist while some prefer to add banana, some don’t. There also exist different names – in northern side of Kerala, its called as kaaryappam.
Nimisha’s mom prepares this snack on important occasions like Vishu and Onam. Her mom does lot of social work and sometimes she prepares this snack to be sold in stalls of food bazaar conducted by charity organisation and the amount goes to the charity organisation.
I have to make a special mention about the time and effort that Nimisha spent on taking the step by step photos and patiently answering the zillion question that I asked her about this recipe.
Her mom deep fries the snack in unniappam chatti(Pic of the vessel given below). However, the same snack could be done using lesser oil and the taste, texture might differ.
Here goes the recipe…..
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup ripe banana( mash it well )
100gms jaggery(dark one)
2-3 tbl spn dry coconut(kopra)
Pinch of salt
Oil for deep frying
- Add jaggery and little water in vessel. Heat it until the jaggery melts. Keep aside
- In a bowl, mix the mashed banana, rice flour, salt and the melted jaggery. Mix well to form a soft thick batter.
3. Chop the dry coconut and add to the batter. Mix well.
4. Heat enough oil in unni Appam chatti.
5. When the oil is hot enough, keep in medium flame and drop spoonful of batter on the Unni Appam chatti one by one.
6. Flip on both sides and cook until golden brown
7. Strain oil and serve.