Vegetable Stew: I believe these words – necessity is the mother of inventions – are very much true. Somehow my purchase got delayed and I had very few veggies left in my fridge. I was giving a bit of thinking on what to prepare. Drawing inspiration from poori masala that my mom used to make and the avial recipe that one of my friend shared with me, I decided to make this vegetable stew. It tasted good with poori and idiyappam.
1/2 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
1/2 medium sized tomato(cut into halves)
1/4 cup beans (cut into pieces of an inch length)
1/4 cup carrot(cut into pieces of an inch length)
1/4 cup potato(cut into pieces of an inch length)
1 quarter of full medium sized coconut
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1/2 inch ginger(finely chopped and crushed)
2 green chillies(slit))
1 tspn coriander powder
1/2 tspn fennel seeds and one cardamom
1 sprig of curry leaves
Few coriander leaves( finely chopped)
- Scrap the brown skin of the coconut and grind it in a mixer. Extract the milk and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the vegetables carrot, beans & potato for one whistle. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds and cardamom to it.
- Now add the onions, green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Now add the tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add the coriander powder and sauté another minute.
- Now add the cooked vegetables along with its stock. Cook for two minutes
- Then add the coconut milk and cook for another two minutes or so. Switch off the stove.
- Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves over the stew and serve hot with poori or idiyappam