Vanjaram/Seer fish fry Recipe: Besides the method of preparation, there are couple of other things that adds on to the taste for any fish fry – Firstly, to check and buy fish that is fresh & firm and secondly, to clean well so that it’s odourless. My suggestion would be to add turmeric & lemon juice in the last wash to make it odourless.
Here is the South Indian fish fry recipe that tastes good with sambar, rasam and curd.
1/2 kg vanjaram fish/seer fish
2 tblspn kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn pepper powder
1/2 tspn cummin powder
1/2 tspn garam masala powder
1 tblspn rice flour
1 tblspn ginger garlic paste
1/2 medium sized lemon (extract juice)
1 tspn fennel seeds
Salt to taste
- Add all spice powders – chilli powder, turmeric powder, rice flour, salt, pepper powder, cummin powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice in a bowl. Sprinkle water and make it into a paste.
- Spread the spice paste over the individual fish pieces on all sides. Let it marinate in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 5-6 tblspn oil in a tawa. When the oil is hot enough, keep in low flame. Add the fennel seeds and then add the fish pieces.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes. Flip gently and cook on the other side for another 6-8 minutes. Cook until the fish turns golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot with rice and curry.