Snake gourd dal curry: To make the dal curry more nutritious, I add veggies to it. Here is a simple and an easy to make snake gourd dal recipe. This recipe tastes good with ridge gourd as well. On days when I’m caught up with lot of work, I prepare this curry and its indeed a quick make.
For pressure cooking:
1/2 cup dal
1 cup snake gourd(cut into small pieces)
1 tspn cummin seeds
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
Pinch of hinge
Salt to taste
1 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
3-4 garlic pods
2 green chillies (slit into halves)
1 red chilly(deseeded)
1 stalk of curry leaves
Few coriander leaves (finely chopped)
1/4 medium sized onion (cut it length wise into smaller pieces)
1/2 medium sized tomato(finely chopped)
- Pressure cook dal, snake gourd, turmeric powder, cummin seeds, hinge, salt and few drops of oil together in 1 – 1&1/2 cup water for 3-4 whistles. Both dal and snake gourd would be fully cooked – would be of soft consistency. Keep aside.
- Heat two tblspn oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds to splutter. Then add the red chilly, cummin seeds, green chilly, garlic pods, curry leaves, coriander leaves and onion – saute for half a minute.
- Then add the tomatoes and sauté for another half minute.
- Now add this tempering to the snake gourd dal and cook for 5 minutes. Switch off the stove
- Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves & 1 tblspn ghee on the snake gourd dal curry and serve hot with steamed rice.