Tindora/ Ivy Gourd Stir Fry Recipe: Tindoras that I used in my earlier recipe were the large ones – it’s skin was hard and when cooked it had that crunchy taste. This time, I’ve used the tender ones – cutting them was lot easier. Beside culinary usage, Tindoras are used in ayurvedic treatments and its known to carry lot of health benefits. It helps to reduce blood sugar level and if somebody is already under medication, then including it in the diet should be checked with the physician.
1 cup Tindora (quartered lengthwise)
1/2 medium sized onion ( finely chopped)
3/4 tblspn chilli powder
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn cummin seeds
1 red chilli
1 stalk of curry leaves
Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to splutter. Then add the cummin seeds, red chilly and the curry leaves.
- Now add the onions and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add the tindoras, the turmeric powder, chilli powder and 1/4 cup water. Cook in medium flame to high flame with closed lid for 8-10 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Open the lid and stir in high flame for a minute or so. Then switch off the stove.
- Serve hot with rice. It goes well with sambar and curd.