Drumstick Brinjal kara kuzhambu recipe: My mom prepares this curry so often as its easy to make and doesn’t take much of your time. I like the flavour that drumstick adds to the curry. It tastes best with rice. I don’t prefer this as a side for idli or dosa.
1 medium sized onion(finely chopped)
1 & 1/2 medium sized tomato(blended into purée)
1 drumstick(cut into two inch pieces)
2 small Brinjal (quartered)
Lemon size tamarind ( soaked in water and juice extracted)
1 tblspn chilli powder
1 tblspn coriander powder
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
6-7 garlic pods(crushed)
1 stalk of curry leaves
1 tspn mustard seeds
1/2 tspn fenugreek seeds
2 red chilly
1. Heat 2 tbl spn oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds to splutter. Then add red chillies, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, crushed garlic and sauté for a minute.
2. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown.
3. Then add the tomato puree and sauté for 2 minutes. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and the tamarind juice. Add 1/2 cup water and let the gravy boil in medium flame.
4. Meanwhile heat 1 tspn oil in a pan and roast the brinjal for a minute or so.
5. Now add the brinjal & drumstick to the boiling gravy.
6. Let it get cooked in medium flame with closed lid for another 10 minutes. Switch off the stove.
7. Serve hot with steamed rice.