Curry leaves chutney recipe: Curry leaves are predominantly used in seasoning in South Indian preparations. Besides, its also used in home remedy for hair treatment. Coconut oil with curry leaves mix is famous in South India, where households use it to prevent greying of hair. And to add on to that benefit, curry leaves chutney, podi and gravies are also made. I would share the recipes one by one in my subsequent posts. Curry leaves chutney could be an healthy breakfast option to go along with your dosas or idlies. Here’s the recipe….
1 cup curry leaves
1/4 cup coconut(chopped into smaller pieces)
1/4 cup mint leaves(optional)
1/4 cup coriander leaves(optional)
1/4 cup onion(chopped into smaller pieces)
1 inch tamarind
3-4 garlic pods
4-5 red chillies
1 tblspn urad dal
Salt to taste
1 tblspn oil
1 tblspn mustard seeds
Few curry leaves
- Heat 2 tblspn oil in a pan and add the white urad dal. Sauté until the urad turns light brown.
- Then add red chillies, coconut, onions, garlic pods and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Now add the curry leaves, coriander leaves, mint leaves, tamarind and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the stove and let the ingredients cool. Add little water, salt and blend the ingredients in a mixer to chutney consistency. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds to splutter. Then add the curry leaves and pour the tempering over the chutney and serve hot with roti, idli or dosa.
Note: Without urad dal, rest of the ingredients could be blended freshly without roasting in oil and then served with tempering on top. Both variation tastes good.