Mushroom soya chunks Briyani Recipe: Here is the Briyani recipe for all the vegetarian friends. Tastes no less than the non-veg version. I dedicate this to all my scope friends who have been requesting – miss them so dearly.
2 cup basmathi rice
2 medium sized onion(chopped length wise)
4 bangalore tomatoes or 3 normal tomatoes(medium sized)
1 cup mushroom(quartered button mushroom)
3/4 cup soya chunks( soaked in boiled water for 10 minutes. Soaking can be done just before sauting the ingredients)
3/4 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup coriander leaves
7-8 green chillies
1/2 tspn pepper powder
1/4 tspn cummin powder
3 tbl spn ginger garlic paste
3-4 dry bay leaves
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
7-8 tbl spn oil
3 tbl spn ghee
Small sized lemon
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil and 1 tbl spn ghee in a vessel that you might use for making Briyani. Add all the spices cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and dry Bay leaves
2. When the cloves gets swelled up ready to burst , add chopped onions and saute till golden brown.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and green chilly – saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off and that you get a nice aroma.
4. At this stage add corriander and mint leaves – saute them
5. Then add tomato and saute till it becomes soft and pulpy. Now add the pepper powder, cummin powder, mushroom and the soya chunks. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Now add water ( for 1 cup rice add 1 & 3/4 cup water) and let it boil along with the sauted ingredients. Add Salt to taste. When the water boils, add basmasti rice ( just before sauting the ingredients, I have washed the rice and kept aside. I’m not soaking the rice)
7. Add lemon juice from half of the lemon.
8. Keep in high flame and cook for 5 minutes with closed lid. Open the lid and add 1 tbl spn ghee. Stir and close the lid. Now cook in medium flame for another 7- 10 minutes with tightly closed lid.
8. Stir gently from the sides towards center so that the rice don’t get mashed up.
9. Keep in low flame and cook in low flame for 5-7 minutes. The lid has to be tight enough so that no vapour eacapes in final low flame cooking.
10. Once the rice is cooked, turn off the flame, add the remain half lemon juice , 1tbl spn ghee and stir it slowly so that the rice don’t get breaked.
10. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.