Semiya Kesari Recipe:
During my school days, one of our Muslim friends used to send us big multi layered tiffin box with Briyani, sides, curry and sweets in it, every year for Ramzan. They used to send either semiya kesari or rava payasam.
I tried semiya kesari this Ramzan, bringing back the childhood memories.
1 cup semiya(vermicelli)
1&1/4 cup water
3 tblsn ghee
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of orange food colour(kesari powder)
pinch of salt
1. Heat 1 tbl spn ghee in a pan and add the semiya to it. Roast it in medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Transfer it to a plate and let it cool.
2. In the same pan, add water and let it boil. Add 1 tbl spn ghee to the water as it gets heated. Once the water starts boiling, add pinch of food colour and pinch of salt.
3. Keep the flame low and add the semiya slowly. Keep stiring until the whole semiya is added. Close the lid and cook the semiya in low flame. After 2-3 minutes, stir the semiya gently from the sides towards the center of the pan(too much stiring would mash up the semiya)
4.Now let it get cooked in medium flame with open lid for a minute or so, until all the water dries up.
5. Add the sugar and as the sugar melts, the semiya gets loosened again. Add the crushed cardamom. Stir gently. Cook for 2 minutes. Switch off the stove. Keep aside the semiya kesari.
6. In a small pan, heat the remaining 1 tbl spn ghee. Roast the cashewnuts & raisins in ghee and pour the tempering over the semiya kesari.
7. Semiya kesari is now ready to served