Rava Onion Dosa Recipe: Rava dosa is one of the famous variety of South Indian dosas and has always been my favourite – one reason being the taste, the other reason being that it could be made instantly – no soaking and fermentation required for this batter.
1 cup rava (semolina)
3/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup curd
1 cup finely chopped onions
4-5 green chilies
Finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tbl spn pepper corns
1/2 tbl spn cummin seeds
1. In a large bowl, mix rava, rice flour, wheat flour and curd. Add water until the batter comes to buttermilk consistency. Add salt, coriander leaves, pepper corns and cummin seeds to the batter. Stir it well and Keep aside.
2. Mix the finely chopped onions and the finely chopped green chilies in a cup. Keep aside
3. Heat tawa and grease it with few drops of oil (use small cloth or half cut onion for greasing)
4. Sprinkle 1-2 tbl spn of the onion chilly mix over the tawa. Now pour the batter using a laddle over the entire tawa starting from outer to inside. We can’t spread like the normal dosa as the batter is very thin. Alternately, use hands to sprinkle the batter over the entire tawa.
5. Adjust the flame between medium and high. Add few drops of oil on the edges of the dosa. Let the the dosa get cooked for some time until we see brown edges on the pores of the dosa and flip to the other side. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Gentle lift the edges of the dosa . Using dosai karandi/spatula remove the dosa from the tawa and transfer it to a plate.
7. Now your crispy Rava onion dosa is ready. Serve with chutney or sambar.
Note: Instead of Wheat, Maida could be used.