Mashed potato with Green peas:
I always felt that mashed potato with green peas is a great accompaniment for the main course, just adding that extra taste to it.
More or less similar to the South Indian podimas, I make this with extra spice to suit my taste. Kids do love this dish. Occasionally, I use it in bread sandwich with added cheese.
1 cup potatoes(cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 medium sized onion(finally chopped)
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1 stalk of curry leaves
1/4 tspn cumin powder
1/4 turmeric powder
2 red chillies
1tspn red chilly powder
Pressure cook chopped potatoes and green peas for 2 whistle. If you don’t like it getting really soft, just give 1 whistle.
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. As the mustard seeds splutter, add red chillies and curry leaves.
2. Now add the onions and sauté till the onions become translucent.
3. Add turmeric and then add the pressure cooked potatoes and green peas (drain of the water completely before adding). Immediately add the cummin powder, chilly powder and salt.
4. Stir till the ingredients become non-sticking on the pan.
5. Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with your rice dish.